The leading NZ casinos
It is a known fact that gambling in New Zealand goes way back to the 1830s. At this time, Kiwi players would bet strictly on horse racing. Despite the nation’s deserted location, one individual known as George Julius made a huge impact on the betting and sports industry and impacted it in a big way. The industry is what it is today, thanks to him. In 1913, George invented a tool called “automatic totalizator” or, in another name, a tote board that allowed fans to watch the positions of the racing horses.
Unluckily, horse race betting became prohibited in the 1920s until 1961. The laws on other wagering forms became very strict until the 1980s when parliament approved lottery games as well as casinos. The ban being lifted saw the introduction of slot machines with the first one opening in 1994.
Even after the long periods of restrictions on gambling, gaming expenditures are high and amount to around $NZ 2 billion per year. Slots account for 35% of this amount, while sports gambling, gaming platforms and lotteries account for 18%, 26% and 21%, respectively.
Each public betting firm is obliged to donate a certain amount of their returns to charity with six land-based casinos licensed in the nation. It is also legal for New Zealand residents to play legally on online casinos that are not located in NZ.
THE GAMBLING SITUATION IN NZ CURRENTLY
According to the Gambling Act of 2003, it is illegal to wager in a casino that is not licensed by the government. You find four types of gambling, and each needs a special operating license from the state. Top cash payouts, as well as turnovers, vary in every type. Players should be at least 20 years old to visit gaming arenas, but only 18 to have fun in sports gaming (horse racing as well), scratch cards and lotteries.
Betting-related stuff that is still illegal in the gaming world runs the gamut in bookmarking, together with online gaming. However, despite the Kiwi law stating it is not legal for gamers to bet at any online casino located in NZ, any person who is above 18 can have fun in internet betting sites that operate in other nations.
It is worth noting that gaming companies located in other nations are not permitted to market their services in NZ.
The Gambling Commission controls gaming in NZ. It is part of the Department of Internal Affairs. The commission was established in 2003, and it is responsible for issuing licenses to gambling platforms, reviews the requirements for license issuing and approves agreements involving operators and the venue that holds a license.
The leading NZ casino games
Experience players know that pokies have a rich history in NZ. Beginning in the early 1900s, these games keep getting popular in casinos, clubs and bars. Currently, there are almost 20,000 slot machines in the nation. You should, therefore, not be surprised that the online gameplay places that provide gamers with the chance to win real cash are a massive hit with several Kiwis.
Read on to find out the best online titles in New Zealand.
- Mega Moolah. Created more than a decade ago in 2006, this Microgaming product has given out payouts amounting to $320 million plus. This includes the biggest mobile grand prize amounting to $5.8 million. It includes four several levels of progressive jackpots, with the biggest starting at NZ$1 million. Additionally, this title has an amazing jungle outlook, and you will easily be attracted to it.
- Gonzo’s Quest – it is one of the leading products by Netent. To add to the fact that it was one of the first pokies to change from the normal rotating wheels by coming up with tumbling wheels, in this game, the icons fall into position, and they explode when they form a winning pay line. You will also be delighted by the amazing cashouts and 3D graphics. Its return to player is around 96%, which means you will get a great return as you start your exciting journey with this Spanish Conquistador.
- Major Millions – just like the name suggests, this game has huge rewards. It is a Microgaming title with cashouts that amount up to $400,000 and, in some instances, millions. Although some people have claimed the theme may be outdated, there are several bonus options like wilds, scatters and more.
- Starburst – the title is quite popular among gamers around the world. It comprises five reels and 10 pay lines, and it’s very simple to play. Although it lacks promotional rounds, players will prefer it because of its expanding wilds and frequent cashouts. This will be a great game for players looking for an option to the common fruit machines without getting invested a lot on video pokies.
The most popular NZ mobile gaming platforms
It is a fact that mobile gaming places are doing great, and becoming very popular because each type of mobile gadget has been incorporated. The number keeps increasing because the gaming industry is evolving daily. The increasing number of gaming places such as those listed below have a rising number of online titles and other casino games like blackjack, roulette and baccarat as they try to satisfy more and more gamers who want to play on the go.
In addition, there is increasing numbers of gamblers using portable devices (tablets and smartphones) as their number one way of internet gaming.
- Spin palace – Year in year out, this casino remains a favourite destination for NZ gamers since it was established in 2001. It has more than 300 options from Evolution Gaming and Microgaming. In addition to this, you will get a welcome bonus of up to $1000 as well as other promotions and gifts via the loyalty club, for example.
- 888 – If you’re looking for the most trustworthy mobile casinos in the industry, this is it. It comes with a wide variety of live dealers, table machines, slots and jackpots. To add to the many gaming options from a number of the leading software developers, this casino also offers unique in-house options. When you sign up, you automatically activate a 100% bonus of up to 100 dollars on your first deposit.
- Casino land – It offers a wide range of leading live dealer titles, pokies and exclusive titles from developers such as Netent, Microgaming, Thunderkick, and NYX. Statistics show that this site has gained a huge following among a huge number of New Zealand residents. It comes with a user-friendly platform and players will love playing in this casino despite the device they are using. When you join this site, you get a welcome bonus of up to $800.
- Las Vegas – With a great number of awards to its name, such as “Casino of the Year and Best Mobile” Casino in New Zealand” this casino has really impressed many Kiwi gamers. It comes with a simple, instant play platform, and users will love a great number of NZ online slots and other titles from several developers. When it comes to payment methods, similar deposit and withdrawal options are available among a number of tablet, desktop and mobile platforms. They include e-wallets (Skrill, Paysafecard, and Neteller), credit and debit cards (MasterCard, Visa and Maestro) and bank transfers. The website also uses other methods that are approved across the globe.
Promotions and bonuses in New Zealand online gaming places
Each website has a unique way of handing out bonuses and promotions (like welcome bonuses, loyalty programs and free spins) exciting charm and peculiarities. However, it is always important to remember that the bonuses come with certain conditions, referred to as wagering requirements that players need to meet. Therefore, they suggest that you have to bet a specific number of times before making withdrawals that come as a result of bonus cash.
Additionally, it is only possible to use such rewards on specific days. The goal of the rewards is to entice players to wager high stake levels and also to prevent them to hunt for these promotions.
The websites know that most players will sign up, use the sign-up bonus then fail to ever play at the site again.
Note that the bonus policy is similarly important as the safety method, as well as the type of gameplay you opt for. While each platform offers a big number of promotions, it is the player’s responsibility to read and reviews the terms keenly. Do not just focus on how generous the offers are.
The NZ casinos listed above observe several measures to ensure players are gaming responsibly.
No casino will allow players who are below 18 years to sign up and play. Because of this, they have to verify by checking your identity to make sure no minor is playing at their casino. Additionally, players are advised not to bet when they are high on alcohol or drugs.
Most betting places offer contacts of gaming addiction experts to gamers who might need help.
They insist you should never use cash meant for paying bills to bet.